The developmental edit, or DE, is performed before the final copy edit and proofreading stage. Some writers skip this crucial phase which tackles the big picture issues of their story. This omission is reflected in the quality of their final product. Our developmental edits focus on the entire composition of your manuscript with the goal of helping you create a more engaging and cohesive story, and give your book its best opportunity for success.
A DE addresses the following areas:
- Opening hook
- Plot holes and inconsistencies
- Structure and organizational flaws
- Believability issues
- Character arc development
- Point of view and head-hopping
- Pacing and reader engagement
- Showing vs. telling
- Stilted dialogue
- Data dumps and excessive backstory
- Voice and genre
- Endings and resolution
We specialize in the following genres:
- Adult: Upmarket, Book Club, Women’s Fiction, both Contemporary and Historical; Commercial Women’s Fiction, Women’s suspense thriller & Romance; Action/Suspense/Thrillers; Sci-Fi; Urban Fantasy; and Memoir
- Young Adult: Contemporary; Sci-Fi/Dystopian; Fantasy; Romance; Historical; Paranormal; Mystery/Thriller, LGBTQ; Middle Grade Contemporary, Fantasy
What you receive with a full developmental edit:
Your work will be returned with comments and editorial suggestions marked within the manuscript in Track Changes. Also included will be a comprehensive editorial evaluation of your manuscript. Upon request, a query letter, author bio, book proposal, and synopsis can be included for an additional fee.
To check on availability and reserve your editorial spot, or for specific questions about your manuscript, please contact Andrea at: email@example.com
From Our Clients
Andrea has been fantastic in helping me clarify my writing goals. She was able to help me focus on the direction I wanted to take my novel and provide inspiration to achieve my dream!
~ Mari Anoran, Paranormal Novelist
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Andrea this last year and have been extremely satisfied with the assistance I’ve received utilizing her consulting services. Her editing and insight have been invaluable towards improving and fine tuning my story. Andrea provided fresh eyes to see the holes and weak spots I wasn’t able to see on my own. She’s professional and encouraging as well as supportive. I would recommend her services to anyone looking for additional guidance.
~ C.K. Brumfield
Thank you for a very insightful Webinar. I have participated in several over the last few months but really enjoyed your style and approach. Providing specific examples helped you to ‘hit the ball out of the park’ from a learner’s perspective.
~ Rose McInerney